Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Report Birth Abroad

Reporting a Birth Abroad

Congratulations on the birth of your child! Whenever a U.S. citizen child is born outside of the United States, parents can apply for a legal document called a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA), as long it's done before the child’s 18th birthday. The CRBA serves as original evidence of U.S. citizenship and functions almost the same way as a birth certificate does in the U.S.

Documentary Requirements

The child needs to be present for the CRBA interview, along with at least one parent. Please bring the following items with you when applying for a CRBA. All documents must be presented in the original. If an original document is not in English, then both the original and a certified English translation with photocopy are required. Once you have gathered all of the required documents, you can begin the process here.


  • A completed Application for Consular Report of Birth Abroad (DS 2029).
  • An affidavit of physical presence form (PDF 165 KB), if only one parent is a U.S. citizen, stating precise periods of physical presence in the U.S. This needs to be filled out accurately and completely. Filling out the affidavit incorrectly is the number one reason CRBA applications are delayed.
  • You can apply for the child's first passport at the same time if you wish. See our Passports section for information on passport application requirements.


  • Child's original birth certificate issued by the hospital with one photocopy;
  • Child’s original birth certificate and notarized English translation issued by the local government authority (e.g., Union Council, NADRA, or Cantonment Board) with one photocopy of the original and the certified translation;
  • U.S. passport and/or Certificate of Naturalization of US citizen parent(s) or a certified copy of either. Certified copies must be notarized by a US notary public or the US Embassy. Pakistani notarials will not be accepted;
  • Evidence of citizenship of non-US citizen parent (e.g., Pakistani passport);
  • Parents' original marriage certificate with notarized English translation with one photocopy of the original and the certified translation;
  • Original Divorce/Death Certificate and notarized English translation with one photocopy of the original and the certified translation. Rupee paper will not be accepted;
  • Documentary proof that the American citizen parent meets the physical presence requirements for transmission of citizenship. For children born after November 14, 1986, five years’ proof of physical presence in the United States is required. At least two years must be after the American reached the age of 14. Proof of physical presence may take the form of bank or credit card statements showing monthly transactions, property leases, postmarked letters, motor vehicle records, medical records, military records, school and university transcripts, tax returns with W-2’s, letters or HR records from employers stating precise periods of employment in the U.S., pay stubs, and/or passport entry/exit stamps, among others.

One document by itself will not establish proof of physical presence for time in the United States. As income may be earned in the United States while not being physically present there, any Social Security, tax, or bank records by themselves cannot serve as proof of physical presence. We understand that it is often difficult to obtain these documents; however, proof of physical presence cannot be waived.


The total fee for both a CRBA and a U.S. passport is $205 (CRBA--$100 and passport--$105).

Tip For Faster Processing

  • The most common delay in CRBA applications is not filling out the affidavit of physical presence completely and accurately. Include ALL of your trips to and from the U.S., and make sure the affidavit has been notarized.

Getting a Passport for Your Child

  • We recommend that parents
    apply for a
    U.S. passport along with the CRBA. Standard passport
    requirements and fees apply.  Click here for more information.

Getting a Social Security Card

  • Applicants must wait until the
    consular section has approved the CRBA and passport before applying for a social security card.  You can apply for
    the social security card when you come in to pick up your child's documents.