Diplomats and other government officials traveling to the United States may submit official (A & G) visa applications to the Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy in Islamabad from 12:30 - 3:30 p.m. Monday - Friday or through American Express offices in Pakistan (click here to find the location nearest you). Applicants must meet specific requirements to qualify for an official visa under U.S. immigration law (click here for information on the requirements for an A visa and here for G visas).
The required application documents consist of the following:
- a passport valid for at least six months beyond the planned date of entry into the United States;
- the one-page confirmation form (with legible barcode) from the DS-160 (applicants should correctly choose the appropriate visa category for their purpose of travel and answer all questions on the form);
- a recent photograph measuring 2" x 2" with a white or off white background (click for complete photo requirements);
- a diplomatic note, including the applicant's title and his/her purpose and duration of travel;
- an invitation letter from the United States;
- a complete CV, including education, professional training, employment, research, publication details, and height, etc.;
- a photocopy of the bio-page(s) of all previous passport(s) for the last ten years;
- a travel history for the last ten years;
- a list of sibling(s) and children names;
- a transportation letter for UN officials applying for G-4 visas, and;
- any other relevant documents that will help explain the applicant's purpose of travel.
Please Note: Applications with incomplete or inaccurate information will not be accepted and will be returned upon review. In such cases, the applicant will need to complete a new DS-160 application and submit a new confirmation sheet.
Many visa applications necessitate further routine but required administrative processing, an integral part of the visa adjudication process that can be neither waived nor expedited. Most administrative processing is resolved within 60 to 90 days; however, it is difficult to predict the amount of time it will take. When administrative processing is required, the timing will vary based on the individual circumstances of each case. Visa applicants are reminded to apply early for their visa, well in advance of the anticipated travel date.