Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Nonimmigrant Visas

Nonimmigrant visas are for international travelers coming to the United States temporarily. The visa, placed in your passport when issued, allows you to travel to a port of entry and request the permission of the Department of Homeland Security Customs and Border Protection immigration officer to enter the United States. A visa does not guarantee entry. International travelers come to the United States for a wide variety of reasons, including tourism, business, medical treatment, and certain types of temporary work. For an overview of the types of nonimmigrant visas available, please see our Visa Categories page.

Advance planning can smooth the visa application process for you. Applicants should submit visa applications at least three months before they intend to travel to the United States.


Accredited applicants are exempt from paying the visa fee. They should complete DS-160 Visa application at for B1/B2 visa before submitting their appointment request and include the confirmation number in their request.

  • DS-160 online visa application must be used by all applicants. Click the link in the left-hand side for more information. Important: Save your information at each stage otherwise you may have to start over if you do not complete the application within 20 minutes.
  • Photos may not be retouched or otherwise altered. Skin complexion must be natural. Click here to see complete photo requirements.
  • Applicants for A-3, G-5, NATO-7, H, J, and B-1 personal or domestic servant visas need to read and understand the rights and protections for temporary workers prior to their interviews.
  • Discover America. Click here to navigate to the official travel and tourism website of the United States.

How to Check on Your Case Status


  • Effective immediately, residents of Sindh and Balochistan will be allowed to schedule appointments in Karachi for the following nonimmigrant visa categories:

  • Business travel (B1)
  • Tourist visas for senior citizens over the age of 65 (B2)
  • Renewals of tourist visas that have expired within the past year (B1/B2)
  • Crew Members (C1/D)
  • Student and Exchange Visitors (F,J,M)
  • Journalists (I)
  • Petition-based visas, including temporary worker and intracompany transferees, traders and investors, persons of extraordinary ability, artists or entertainers, and religious workers. (H,E,L,P,O,R)