Nonimmigrant visas are for international travelers coming to the United States temporarily. The visa, placed in your passport when issued, allows you to travel to a port of entry and request the permission of the Department of Homeland Security Customs and Border Protection immigration officer to enter the United States. A visa does not guarantee entry. International travelers come to the United States for a wide variety of reasons, including tourism, business, medical treatment, and certain types of temporary work. For an overview of the types of nonimmigrant visas available, please see our Visa Categories page.
Advance planning can smooth the visa application process for you. Apply for your visa well in advance of your travel!
- As of August 25, the Consular section is open for normal business hours, however due to protests in Islamabad this is subject to change based on local conditions.
If you were scheduled to appear for a nonimmigrant interview prior to August 23, 2014 and were unable to attend your interview, please contact your local American Express office as soon as possible for assistance to reschedule your appointment.
- Effective August 24, 2014, new applicants must book visa appointments online at http://www.ustraveldocs.com/pk. Beginning August 25, 2014, Call Center representatives will be available to assist applicants with questions and scheduling. Call Center hours and information are available on same website provided. This appointment system replaces the current appointment system of scheduling at AEG Amex and Speedex locations in Pakistan.
- For applicants who scheduled their appointments before August 24, 2014, please contact AEG Amex or Speedex for requests to change your appointment date.
- DS-160 online visa application must be used by all applicants. Click the link in the left-hand side for more information. Important: Save your information at each stage otherwise you may have to start over if you do not complete the application within 20 minutes.
- Photos may not be retouched or otherwise altered. Skin complexion must be natural. Click here to see complete photo requirements.
- Apply early. Applicants should submit visa applications at least three months before they intend to travel to the United States.
- Applicants for A-3, G-5, NATO-7, H, J, and B-1 personal or domestic servant visas need to read and understand the rights and protections for temporary workers prior to their interviews.
- Discover America. Click here to navigate to the official travel and tourism website of the United States.
How to Check on Your Case Status
- You may use the Department of State's new website https://ceac.state.gov/CEAC/ to check on the status of your nonimmigrant visa case.
Effective immediately, residents of Sindh and Balochistan will be allowed to schedule appointments in Karachi for the following nonimmigrant visa categories:
- Business travel (B1)
- Tourist visas for senior citizens over the age of 65 (B2)
- Renewals of tourist visas that have expired within the past year (B1/B2)
- Crew Members (C1/D)
- Student and Exchange Visitors (F,J,M)
- Journalists (I)
- Petition-based visas, including temporary worker and intracompany transferees, traders and investors, persons of extraordinary ability, artists or entertainers, and religious workers. (H,E,L,P,O,R)